Manager of Corporate Accounting and Consolidation
Purpose of the Position
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Accounting & Consolidation, the Manager, Corporate Accounting & Consolidation is responsible for day-to-day management and supervision of technical accounting and reporting processes. This person will perform period-end activities for support center accounting, working closely with the brand accounting teams to deliver consolidated financial statements in accordance with GAAP. Specifically, the Manager, Corporate Accounting & Consolidation will ensure timely and accurate reporting of all lease activity, including certain footnote disclosures for the Company’s financial statements and serves as a key contact in support of the annual audit. In addition, this person supports the accounting for acquisitions (i.e. purchase accounting), valuation accounting, chart of account maintenance & mapping and consolidation of acquired entities, as needed.
- Corporate Accounting & Consolidation. Works with the Director, Corporate Accounting & Consolidation supporting the development of Flynn Group consolidated balance sheets, income statements, statements of cash flows and other executive reporting schedules and reviews and analyzes intra-company balances and transactions.
- Support Center. Performs accounting for support center departments. Ensures proper recording of transactions within the general ledger. Serves as primary financial liaison between the support center accounting function and the support center functions (IT, Real Estate, Procurement, etc).
- Acquisition & International Business. Key point of contact for newly acquired businesses, both domestic and international. Ensures appropriate accounting for business combinations, including purchase price allocation and opening balance sheet valuations.
- Lease Accounting. Manage the proper accounting and recording of all lease activity (including new real estate leases, equipment leases, lease modifications, renewals, subleases, income leases, acquired leases, etc.) in accordance with GAAP. Perform in-depth analysis of legal documents, research technical literature, estimate property values, and develop and document accounting treatment of complex transactions. Determine lease classification in accordance with GAAP, interpretative guidance and provisions in legal documents. Communicate complex accounting issues and recommend solutions to accounting leadership. Liaise with other groups within the organization (e.g. Lease Administration, Legal, Purchasing, etc.) to ensure all residual lease transactions (i.e. closed store reserves, lease guarantees, lease deposits payable, etc.) are properly accounted in the correct period. Work with external auditors to provide requested deliverables. Provide direction, leadership and mentoring for accounting staff.
- Oversee the month-end and quarter-end closing of the general ledger, prepare month-end journal entries, evaluate account balances and perform reconciliations and analysis of assigned corporate balance sheet accounts. Provide information to external auditors for the year-end audit. Assist accounting staff in the proficient use of accounting systems (e.g. SAP RE, Contract Management, etc.).
- Coordinate with executives, key employees, and vendors to ensure all new or modified major service contracts are reviewed on at least a quarterly basis. Communicate results of embedded lease review with accounting leadership for accurate accounting treatment. Train accounting team on application of the lease accounting standard.
- Help drive effective control environment in performance of assigned processes to maintain accuracy and reliability of financial information.
- Perform ad-hoc projects and technical research to help analyze or support Company decisions. Manage multiple projects, including projects for process improvement. Assist in the preparation of footnote disclosures for the Company’s financial statements.
- 7 - 10 years of total experience
- 2 - 5 years public accounting experience (Big 4 or large multinational firm accounting experience preferred)
- Experience in a public company preferred
- Experience managing staff accountants or leading audit engagements
- Prior experience with general ledger accounting systems preferred
- Experience in property accounting preferred, but not required
- ASC 840, Leases, experience required
- Understanding of lease accounting standard, ASC 842 required
- ASC 805, Business Combinations, experience preferred
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Flexible, "hands-on", self-starter with strong initiative and work ethic
- Business-minded, analytical manager who grasps the global concepts of leasing transactions, can work through complex, technical accounting issues while balancing and managing the details as needed
- Demonstrated ability to interpret complex accounting literature and provide written documentation of accounting positions
- Executive presence and ability to effectively communicate with senior levels of management and outside auditors on a regular basis
- Ability to develop effective workplans and meet assigned deadlines
- Ability to shift priorities as needed to make progress on multiple brands, projects, and workstreams simultaneously
- Team player who works with appropriate sense of urgency and ownership to meet deadlines
- Proficient in Excel (e.g. pivot tables, V/H-lookups, etc.) and Word
- Good sense of humor, positive attitude and strong customer service skills
Why Work for Flynn?
Flynn Group offers a variety of benefits and perks to encourage and empower our employees. We are committed to helping each employee work and live to his or her fullest potential. We offer a variety of benefits and perks while working for us:
- Retirement and Savings Plan
- Short- and Long-Term Disability
- Basic Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Time Off
- Flexible/Hybrid Work Schedules
- Company Outings
- Dining Discounts
- PC/Laptop Purchase Assistance
- On-Site Fitness Center
- On-Site Daycare
- On-Site Café
- FUN Work Environment!
The Flynn Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer